Thursday, October 26, 2006

Treatise about USB Flash Drive security

Do you have a USB Flash Drive (otherwise known as thumb drive, USB key, etc)? If so, in my opinion this post could potentially save you some future anguish if it's ever lost or misplaced.


I own a 512 MB USB Flash Drive which I use regularly. On it I store much important (and personal) information. Recently, I thought (thankfully, only thought) it had been lost or stolen. Since that event, I have taken the following steps to secure my drive in case it ever does actually escape my possession.


  1. Used the built-in encryption software from SanDisk to secure my "sensitive" data (financial records, business invoices, etc). This is to prevent any dishonest individual who may find my device from using the information for nefarious purposes.

  2. Created an unencrypted text file in the main directory. This file contains my contact information (temp & permanent physical addresses and e-mail & website addresses) in addition to a reward notice. This file is for any honest person who may find and want to return the device.

  3. Now carry the drive in my wallet to minimize the risk of loss.


USB Flash Drives are great for moving and storing data, but also can allow a large amount of data to disappear from your hands or appear in the wrong hands.

No comments: