Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Transmission Fluid & Filter

Today after work I set to work on replacing the transmission oil & filter in my Mom's car. With the advice of our local mechanic and my uncle the plans were put in place.

A little background: on our trip to Waskaganish a few weeks ago the "Service Engine Soon" came on during the last 100kms of the trip up there. However, on the trip home the light went out and didn't reappear...until our return from Quebec last weekend. Yesterday Mom went to the garage and the mechanic read the error code: which turned out to be a slipping transmission error.

We borrowed ramps and I crawled under the car to begin removing the 15 or so bolts which held on the transmission pan. After removing the pan, gasket, and filter, we cleaned out the pan thoroughly. I then installed the new filter and gasket before replacing the pan. Finally, we poured in 5 containers of new transmission fluid, as well as a bottle of stop leak.

Hopefully this will correct the problem!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like you'd make a good husband!!

Anonymous said...

I'll put the car on our local prayer chain.