Monday, May 15, 2006

Favorites Icon

Perhaps you have noticed the new custom icon which now appears in the address bar beside my blog URL (at least in IE). Here is an article from Microsoft which explains about how it works in detail: How to Add a Shortcut Icon to a Web Page

Basically: Create a 16x16 pixel image and save it as a GIF. Then, use FavIcon from Pics (one of many free online tools) to convert the file to an .ico. Now you have a suitable file for the favorites icon.

However, Blogger will not host .ico files. This wasn't a problem for me, since I already have a paid hosting account for my website. If you don't have a host, then one of the following may work (but I haven't tried them):

Once you have the file hosted somewhere, then insert the code into your blogger template. Below is a image showing where I inserted mine. Whatever the case, it needs to be after the "head" tag, and before the "/head" tag.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info, Malcolm. I'm going to try this...this week or next.

Anonymous said...

I did it! I figured it out. Thanks for the info