Thursday, May 11, 2006

Grammar!

I have been accepted to attend a month long Cambridge CELTA course beginning May 23 in Montreal. Related to TESOL (Teachers of English to Speakers of Other Languages), and as part of the University of Cambridge, this certificate is widely recognized around the world.

The pre-course task involves completing a series of English language exercises. There are questions on parts of speech, the tense system, vocabulary, pronunciation, and more. Needless to say, I have been brushing up on my grammar skills!

The actual course involves instruction in the morning, and then supervised teaching practice in the afternoon. The "real-life" teaching sessions are critiqued by the instructors. In this way, I will be able to immediately receive feedback after putting into practice what I am learning.

Here is a 40 second humorous video clip in regard to English language miscommunication (Thanks Ben!):
German Coastguard (~2.5 MB)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Malcolm,

I've been looking more into the CELTA program as well in Vancouver. It seems like a lot of work! but a really good program. I'm interested to hear how it goes for you. I'm sure you'll learn a lot and find the training very useful down the road.

Press on!

Scott T.
PS.I love to coastguard clip.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Just thought I'd say hi!
You can check out my new blog too if your bored!